Pages

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Handmade Halloween: M&M costumes for the whole family!

That's right.  For Halloween this year, I dressed up our family of three as M&Ms.  The little one, who's initials are MM, was a green M&M.  


Momma was a bag of plain M&M's.


And the Dadda was a bag of peanut M&Ms.


Now, if we had a second child, especially if it was a boy, he would have been a red M&M.  Not sure if I would have made him a peanut M&M, since oval is a little harder to accomplish than a circle.

Costumes were simple to make.  The bags are basically pillowcases with arm holes and pocket holes (yes, these are very important to get to your camera and wallet!)  The candy costume is a simple circle with stabilizer sandwiched between two layers.  If i were to do it again, i would make the parts around her side elastic for easier off and on.


The above is the font I used for the lettering.  For the bags, I blew the M up to the max I could fit on a 8.5x11 sheet of paper.  The & s I blew up the same %.  The M on the candy was smaller, I just eye-balled it based on the circle.

Word to the wise:  use iron on transfer for the letters.  Both the letters and the white that goes on behind it...it will make your life SO much easier.  I ironed on random pieces to hold them in place while sewing them on, and it's not worth it.  The iron on stuff will hold long enough for you to get several uses out of the costumes :)  and save you the hassle of sewing!

I'd say it took me a total of 4 hours to sew the three costumes, and another hour or so to get all the letters cut out.  I bought waay too much fabric for these (i'm an over-estimator, for sure!) and spent less than $20 for the three.

Hopefully, I can convince my family to put their costumes back on for a photo op of all three of us together :)


Happy Creating!

See the whole family here.



4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your costumes! Where did you find the brown and yellow pillowcases? At first I thought they were made from felt. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your costumes are so cute! I am wondering ifbyou'd be willing to help me make the yellow m&m's bag? I am going to be in the Ms. Wheelchair pageant and we have to dress up as our favorite candy for the opening number. I kinda have most of what I want to wear (so it's easy to change out of for my next outfit) but am worried I won't really have enough so I was thinking of covering the back part of my chair to look like the bag to tie everything together. If you have any ideas or would be willing to make me one please let me knoe. I think it would be super cute

    ReplyDelete