Pages

Friday, October 19, 2012

Pin-teresting Friday! Natural Ant Repellant

I've read that mixing Borax with something sweet like jam, jelly, honey or syrup will kill them.  They supposedly bring it back to the nest where all the other ants eat it and they die.

from http://naturalantkiller.net/

I had some ants coming in through a hole near my window sill.  They were making their way across the sill and down the wall behind my sink.  There they would find a s'more-ga-sporg on my dirty dishes piled in the sink and/or next to the sink.

So I thought I would try this.  I mixed up some Borax and Strawberry jelly and smeared it on a paper plate.  I put pieces of the plate next to the hole, on the ant path, and actually blocking the ant path (they crawled over the plate to continue on their path).

In the 20 minutes I stood there and watched (yes, i have too much time on my hands), only 2 ants ventured onto the plates and tested out the jelly/Borax.  Some ants wondered onto the plate, "took a sniff" and went along their merry little way.

The Borax/Jelly didn't seem to do a thing :(  The ants weren't even eating it!

I got some glue out, poured it in the caulk hole, let it firm up and no more ants!


I've also tried using whole cloves, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the TYPE of ant?

Visit this website to read more ways to naturally kill and repel ants.  Let me know if any of them worked for you and what type of ants you tried it on!

UPDATE (12/7):  we still have a lot of sugar ants under the kitchen sink. So I mixed up another batch of jelly/borax, but it on a paper plate section and waited.  Nothing happened - the ants were still walking around it.  So I gave up and went to bed.  When I checked on it this morning, there were TONS of ants on the paper plate and leaving to bring the poison back to the nest.  This went on all day.  When I checked it this evening, there was only one ant...I wonder if all the other ants are dead?

No comments:

Post a Comment