Pages

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

DIY Christmas: Felt Food - T-bone Steak, Corn on the Cob and Ribs



I didn't make any tutorials or anything for my felt food, because there are A TON of tutorials out there and if there isn't, well, it's pretty easy to figure it out for most stuff!  I'll include whatever links I used to help you out :)


I used wool felt as it is far superior to the acrylic stuff you can find in most craft stores.  I won't get into why it's better other than it's sturdier and will last a lot longer.  So for the effort I'm putting in to make this stuff, I want it to last.  

I got mine from Christmas Keepsakes on Etsy.  She has a great assortment of colors, reasonable shipping and the felt is wonderfully soft and so easy to work with!


The ribs were the most fun to make!  I included a magnet on each side (one on the top of the left piece and one on the bottom of the right piece) and a soda or beer top on the opposite side for the magnet to stick to.  I wish I had used a darker red color for the barbecue sauce, because this red is the same as ketchup :(


I LOVE the little grill lines on the t-bone steak.  I set my sewing machine to a wide zig zag and a relatively short stitch length.  I only made grill marks and the t-bone on one side.  


The corn on the cob was a little time consuming for me to figure out.  I wanted them to look like corn sections, so there's white cob on both sides.  Since the "kernels" were woven (although there are other styles out there in blogland) and I didn't want stuffing showing through, I sewed some quick stitches to hold it all together.  A couple cobs were hand sewn, and then I got lazy and machine stitched.  I don't have a preference to which looks better, but the machine sewing was definitely faster!

1. Ever Never Again  2. Squirrel Bait Crafts  3. Cook Clean Craft  4.  Bug Bites Play Food
 For more felt food ideas, visit my pinterest board:  Felt Food & Play Kitchens.  There's more felt food coming up later in the week...Stay tuned!  To see the post about the play grill, go here.


No comments:

Post a Comment