Pages

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Peg People: Scuba Diver and kokeshi style Mermaid

check out Ironman/Thing here.

So for my other swap partner, I decided to make a Scuba Diver and a Mermaid.


As with Thing, I couldn't find a lot of scuba divers around, so I decided to accept the challenge and try to create my own!


This little guy has twin tanks on his back.  Handcrafted from rolled up cardstock filled with hot glue then covered (one could say decoupaged) with newspaper and painted yellow :)  Classy, I know.


Originally, the tanks were going to be removable, so attached is a small hair elastic.  But when I finally settled the tanks on the diver's back, they stuck out a little wonky and looked silly...so they got super glued to the peg.


This guy also has some cardstock fins, covered in clear packing tape to make them a little more durable.  If this peg is to be played with by a child, the fins would need to come off as they are not very durable.


I wanted his mask to be a little cloudy so that it would look like plastic...so I mixed some of my high gloss sealer with a touch of white paint.  I think it's a little more cloudy than I wanted, but we'll just say he's a heavy nose breather and keeps fogging up his mask :)


I got lazy and didn't put "weights" on his weight belt, they are just black dots.  But I'm really liking the yellow buckles for everything...added a nice bit of color.


I love this mermaid. 


 I really like the kokeshi pegs you can find on etsy, but the blank dolls are $$$, in my opinion.  So, I made my own.  


It's an egg shaped wooden piece and a sphere.  I drilled holes in both and used a dowel and wood glue to attach them.  My head is a little crooked, but whatever.  Turned out pretty good for my first Kokeshi attempt.  And only cost me $0.25.  Way better then the $4+ going on etsy.  


Her buns are wood buttons also found in the wood section at the craft store.  I drilled holes to fit and glued them in :)


I LOVE these eyes.  Copied them from abbyjac on etsy (she has some GREAT pegs :)

These guys went off to their forever home and I hope they will be happy there!






No comments:

Post a Comment